homestead - [Homestead] Electric vs. Gas

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Electric vs. Gas
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:44:04 -0800

Well, as I said a few months ago, I absolutely HATE gas cooking. When we bought this place, the cooktop that was here blew up but since this was only piped for gas, we bought a new gas cooktop. Lots of suggestions about what the problem was from high altitude to "you need a professional because you didn't hook it up right/adjust it properly." O.K., so at 3,000' altitude "could" be part of the problem but only a tiny part. We got out both the certified Maytag guy and the local propane guy and both adjusted the stove and told me it was all my imagination.

Well, phooey on them. I started collecting change in my trusty old Planter's peanut jars and saved up enough to have 220 put in. I told the electrician that I wanted the wiring to be top of the line "incase" I ever hit the Lotto and could afford an induction cooktop. Then I started saving again, more pennies, more nickles, dimes and quarters. So, a couple of weeks ago I've got enough for a new cooktop. Off we go, after first callling to be sure they had the model I wanted in stock (some cooktops come with a special power burner for canning). We get to the store and NO COOKTOP!

O.K., so I'm LIVID. It's a two-hour drive and Redding is HOT! In fact, he said they never stock the cooktop I wanted. I told the guy I wasn't mad at him, it wasn't him that told me the night before that they had the cooktop in and I told DH we'd go check out all the big boxes. The saleman said to hold on and he went and got the manager. So, we ended up with a real stove, not a cooktop, and for less than it would have cost for the cooktop with the special order burners.

Now I have TWO ovens! Wahoo!

At anyrate, back to electric vs. gas. Before we went to pick up the new stove, youngest and I conducted a test. We took the big Revereware cooper bottom pan and filled it with cold tap water and timed how long it took it to come to a boil -- 34 minutes. Then we took the big stainless steel pasta pan and filled it with cold tap water and put a lid on it and timed how long it took for it come to a boil -- 39 minutes.

Well, DH just did an electric test. Revereware, cold tap water -- 12 mintues to a really rolling rapid boil. Stainless steel pasta pot, cold tap water -- 15 minutes to a really rollling rapid boil.

I am now a happy camper!

Lynda

  • [Homestead] Electric vs. Gas, Lynda, 06/15/2007