homestead - Re: [Homestead] Natural pesticides versus artificial pesticides, in humans

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Natural pesticides versus artificial pesticides, in humans
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:16:00 -0700

At 6/12/2007 03:21 PM,Lynda wrote:
Well, you have to realise that Gold thinks the greatest invention since
humans stood up on their hind legs is DDT and that it should never have been
banned. That it's sad that a few eagles died but DDT has never hurt a
human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

>>Malaria afflicts between 300 million and 500 million people every year. The World Health Organization estimates that around 1 million people die of malaria and malaria-related illness every year,[48] with about 90% of these deaths occur in Africa, mostly to children under the age of 5.

According to the Cato Institute, after South Africa stopped using DDT in 1996, the number of malaria cases in KwaZulu Natal province rose from 8,000 to 42,000 cases. By 2000, there had been an approximate 400% increase in malaria deaths. Today, after the reintroduction of DDT, the number of deaths from malaria in the region is less than 50 per year. South Africa could afford and did try newer alternatives to DDT, but they proved less effective.[14] Uganda also began permitting the use of DDT in anti-malarial efforts, despite a threat that its agricultural exports to Europe could be banned if they were contaminated with DDT.[56] The Ugandan government has stated that it cannot achieve its development goals without first eliminating malaria. The GDP shows a striking correlation between malaria and poverty, where malaria is estimated to reduce per capita growth by 1.3 percent per annum.[57]<<