homestead - Re: [Homestead] Natural pesticides versus artificial pesticides, in humans

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Natural pesticides versus artificial pesticides, in humans
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:21:44 -0800

Well, you have to realise that Gold thinks the greatest invention since humans stood up on their hind legs is DDT and that it should never have been banned. That it's sad that a few eagles died but DDT has never hurt a human.

She also doesn't think one should worry about industrial chemicals because "any chemical is toxic at some dose."

I would say, having read a few of Ms. Gold's rants, that there is about a 99.9% chance that Ms. Gold is in the pocket of the chemical companies.

Ames thinks regulatory agencies "seem to be mostly counterproductive" and aren't needed because "technology is making us healthy and wealthy." He thinks that instead of regulatory agencies we should just have lawsuits.

Of course, one might get a better idea of the good docs if I told you they are both long time residents at Bezerkley!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Bev, and any other chemists on the list, what is your reaction to this?

June 12, 2007, 12:43 am
Mother Nature’s Pesticides

By John Tierney

Tags: DDT, pesticides, Rachel Carson

When I posted on research by Bruce Ames and Lois Swirsky Gold showing
that humans ingest a lot more natural pesticides than synthetic
pesticides, I expected a sequel to the earlier denunciations from
Rachel Carson’s admirers. (To answer their most frequent question:
No, I am not accepting bribes from chemical companies.)