homestead - Re: [Homestead] gas prices

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gas prices
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:22:55 -0800

Hmmmm, I guess we have a different brand of driver and "other" type commuters up here in *real* Northern California. On the coast it is perfectly legal to ride a bicycle on the enfamous Hwy 101 AND something you frequently see. In fact, the bridge over the Mad River has a light on it to advise that there are bicyclists using it when one is on the bridge. Folks commute on bicycles from the 3 main towns north and south to HSU and College of the Redwoods using the highway. Although there are the usual bicycle vs. auto accidents in town, it is extremely rare for there to be any problems on the highways.

Up here in Nowheresville, Hwy 3 is extremely narrow, winding and wall-to-wall with logging trucks yet it is a recommended ride for motorcycle clubs and there hasn't been one accident in all the time we've lived up here. It also isn't uncommon to see bicycles, horses, golf carts and motorized wheelchairs on the section of highway in town and for a few miles on each side of town. Again, haven't heard of even one near accident.

I certainly would recommend it in other parts of the state, so I wonder what makes the difference up here. Hmmmm, maybe it is all that smoke from CAMP fires making folks more laid back <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

I've imagined just such a situation. Last night there was a fool
commuting on his bike on a heavily traveled four-lane road. I admire
his wish to commute by bike, but he was riding in the gutter, the
speed limit is 45 mph there, and it was nerve-racking passing him. If
he keeps up his commute on that particular route, I hope he has his
donor card signed because I'm sure his organs will all be healthy if
he isn't splattered so thoroughly that they can't be used.

I have considered all the ways that I could bike to work, but even if
I was in the kind of shape that would allow that, I would be at high
risk of instant death on the last 4 or 5 miles of every route. I
suppose that $7 gas would up the odds of the odd cyclist.