homestead - Re: [Homestead] plant ID

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] plant ID
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:04:43 -0400

Well, I spoke too soon. As it turns out, it IS a rose campion.
http://tinyurl.com/2e729x

It looks identical to the pic above. If it doesn't pull up the image, search Lychnis coronaria. The variety is Gardener's world.
Thanks everyone..and sorry Lynda, Wendy was right this time. ;)

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Well, I still think you've got mallows <g> They are natives to most states. Some varieties come with fuzzy leaves. Some get as tall as 6' and some aren't more than ankle high. They come in all kinds of pastels and vibrant colors.

Here's a link to a pink tree mallow (about half way down the page). http://www.twowests.co.uk/weblog/archives/2006/07/shades_of_pink.html
> And, although this site is about butterflies, it has a picture of one of the fuzzy leaved types (the bright orange one).

Although, in theory, they only have 5 petals, we had two "volunteers" that were multi-petaled. One was a lavendar/pink and the other was a chicory blue.

I looked at the pics, and no, it is not campion...I heard that a lady
down the road has some in her backyard, so what I found was probably an
escapee. When I find out what it is, I'll post..