homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 06:36:40 -0700

On May 15, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Gloria Morris wrote:

My place will never be a "farm"
and I don't have 8 kids to help with labor! But as close as I can come to
the pleasures of that simple life ... I am working my way toward living that
way. Who knew it would become slightly fashionable? < grin >

More will follow Gloria's example. Rural migration has typically followed economic trends. The economic tide is still coming in but the rocky reef is building. The price of city life, including commuter gas woes, is high, but so is employment income. Organic food was once a fad but is now a serious portion of the world food supply. "The United Nations defines organic agriculture as a "holistic" food system that avoids the use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, minimizes pollution and optimizes the health of plants, animals and people. It is commercially practiced in 120 countries and represented a $40 billion market last year . . . ." (http://www.usatoday.com/news/ world/2007-05-05-un-organic_N.htm) Urban locavorism is today but a fly speck on the economic wall; an indulgence of young people who have more than they need and wish to be identified with environmental fashion. The practice will grow as more identify with Gaia as a threatened organism.

And the beat goes on.