homestead - Re: [Homestead] The border was: Are you a locavore?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The border was: Are you a locavore?
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 11:04:40 -0700

Well, mango ice cream sales dude was a liar. Have you looked at the price of onions? It hasn't taken long for the monopoly to reorganize itself post-NAFTA, it seems, since all the supermarket onions are selling for the rip-off price of $1.49 a pound. But onions were being harvested in Mexico during the dry season months ago. How can this be? Weren't we promised how much cheaper everything would be once NAFTA saved the day? Think back to the "Mexican bulb onions" (onions jerked out before they're ready, to raise the price of future onions) that your local slop shop had a few months back. The only question left in my mind is how these crooks decide whose onions have to be pulled and sacrificed for the common good (of onion growers).

Bill
S. Oregon coast

I just read a book titled The Daughters of Juarez which documents the over
300 murders, usually accompanied with rape and torture, of women and young
girls since the signing of NAFTA in 1993. The authors claim that the
deaths, mainly of females working for or applying for work at maquiladoras,
are a direct result of NAFTA. And some of the companies there, like Amway,
General Electric, TDK, are major sellers in our area.

  • Re: [Homestead] The border was: Are you a locavore?, Bill Jones, 05/09/2007