homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solar and wind

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solar and wind
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:51:49 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone else subscribe to "Small Farm Today",
www.smallfarmtoday.com? It is a bimonthly magazine
oriented more to the farmer than the self sufficient
homesteader, but has much of interest.
They sponsor a Small Farm Trade Show & Conference in
Columbia, Missouri each November, 1st-3rd this year.
Features in this issue include. How to build a straw
bale chicken house, A cornucopia of catalogs, and the
Lazy man's garden.
That last one refers to a book: "The Ruth Stout No
Work Garden Book". Is any one familiar with that?
Recommended?
This does lead to a couple of specific questions.
We are wanting to start a garden on our farmland.
Since we are not able to be there ever day the thing
that comes to mind is potatoes because they take a
minimum of attention. Any other suggestions.
I am attracted to the idea of a low till garden with a
lot of mulch, but any land available is covered with
grass. I'm sure that we will need to plow and disc
this at least the first year.
Any information or is appreciated. Since this is my
first garden in over 40 years I'm not afraid to be
told I don't know what I'm doing. But if you do
please say it gently.
Van Dell