homestead - Re: [Homestead] California College Administrators Attempt Funding Coup

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] California College Administrators Attempt Funding Coup
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:04:27 -0700

They won't get any sympathy from me. The NEA came in about 15 years ago, or so, and got the CTA going and got a bunch of changes made to K-12. "Back in the day," as the kidlets phrase, when I was doing budgets, fiscal administration and federal grants AND before everything went to block grants which really screwed things up royally, admin was only allowed 7% of all the various funds they pulled in and 15% of state mandated money. Now with Prop 98 and a few other cleaver things pushed through by CTA, they effectively cut off their noses to spite their faces and add in NCLB and you have everything going to hell in a hand basket!

And CTA is no different than the admin folks. In fact, the dream of all members of CTA is to "cross over" to admin. The vast majority of them aren't the least interested in teaching, they are only interested in that guaranteed pay check and outrageous benefits with little or no fear of having to prove they can do the job!

Let them fight it out. Sooner or later they'll bankrupt the whole business and someone with some common sense will get to kick them all to the curb and put something realistic in place!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

The syndicate that represents California community college
administrators is trying to eliminate the law that forces them to spend
50% of the money on actual classes (as a taxpayer, I'm wondering, 'Gee,
shouldn't that be the 70%, or the 80%, law?'). That would free up the
money to spend on themselves. Here's the propaganda page from the
teachers' union exposing this diabolical plot (forgive both the sentence
fragment and the bellicose tone):

"ACCA’s highest priority is elimination of the 50% law. If
administrators have their way it won’t just be weakened. It will be
gone. To this we have CTA sponsored legislation to strengthen the 50%
law. And it’s CTA’s highest priority - Tier 1.
Let the battle begin! "

Click on Association News then on President's Monthly Message at

http://www.ccafca.org/

Bill