homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening and eggs..

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening and eggs..
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:10:47 -0700

I haven't heard anything on the job, which I am taking as a bad sign
that they don't want to pay me what I want, so while I can, I am still
playing in the dirt.

FWIW, they have not contacted me for a reference.

Spinach, radishes, etc. are coming up
and starting to grow in the outside beds.

Spring is springing!

I don't know if I mentioned this or not,
but the other day, when I untarped bed 5 to check it, I dug around a
bit, and found an earthworm 4 inches from the top of the mulch, which is
basically almost 3 feet above ground level. I was psyched!!!

Good news indeed. An indication that the ground is warming and there are worm groceries in there.

That bed
only has rocks, sticks, waste hay, the remains of last summers pepper
plants,and straw in it, and apparently the lower layers are decomposing
fine. I love it when my crazy ideas actually work.

Nothing crazy at all about piling up organic materials and letting the soil community do the heavy lifting of turning it all into plant food.

I'm a bit frustrated with the curcurbit
germination. . . . I might have to buy some transplants.

Perhaps someone in your community has had better cucurbit germination and can trade you some for something you have. If not, that might be a plan to implement for the future. Tough to be an island.