homestead - Re: [Homestead] On Becoming a Milk Maid

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On Becoming a Milk Maid
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:26:20 -0600

Yes, goat milk is good for baking too. I have only made cornbread so far,
not yeast breads. But it was very good! I am extremely lucky to have several
mentors, including one on this list! But it was the most wonderful
discovery, that my neighbor has goats. That has been extraordinary. I really
love this neighborhood - I've never before lived amidst like-minded folks.
I'm getting over a gallon per day. I know I should be keeping records,
weighing it, etc. But honestly, between work and moving and now the dairy
adventure it has simply not been possible. I cannot even manage to read my
email. There are over 200 unread emails in my inbox! I'm milking twice per
day. It is a bit irregular, unfortunately, due to my work schedule. But
she's a forgiving creature and so far so good (and I knock on wood as I say
that). Her name is Ghiradelli Chip (yes, like that fancy chocolate). She's a
Nubian, and very cute.

Gloria