homestead - Re: [Homestead] storm of the century - was Signs of Spring

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] storm of the century - was Signs of Spring
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:11:54 EST

Our road is about 2000 feet long with about 900 feet of that length winding
through heavy, steep-sided forest. To this day a prominent feature to be
seen
here is the stumps and log ends where we had to cut away more than 50 trees
to clear the road in the aftermath of that '93 storm. The county fared
little
better, it was days before the roads were clear and almost two weeks without
power.

Eldest had just turned a year old and the depth of the snow was several
inches over his head. We cooked outside over a fire in the hibachi, melted
snow
the same way since the pump depended on electricity, and put jugs of milk in
the
snow to cool them after the milking.

The manually lit propane range still worked and herself made a huge chocolate
cake from scratch which to this day is called "Blizzard Cake".

We in a much better stead to endure such a storm now than we were then.

  • Re: [Homestead] storm of the century - was Signs of Spring, Clansgian, 02/24/2007