homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oregon Pippin (was: I Am On a Quest)

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oregon Pippin (was: I Am On a Quest)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:39:14 -0800

That would be great. I've looked at the description of the Newtown/Newton and most describe it as a large apple, green with russet that turns yellow. The Oregon Pippin is green, somewhat darker in color than a Granny Smith. It is a small apple and rather squatty.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>

As you may know, a "pippin" apple is one that originally grew from a
seedling, thus a Newtown Pippin and a Cox's Orange Pippin are different
varieties. That said, your description sounds very much like a Newtown
Pippin. Possibly it was grown in Oregon, or came from scions grown in
Oregon?

I will be going to the Home Orchard Society Scion Exchange near Portland on
March 10 (http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/scion_exchange/), and I can look
for scionwood of that variety while I'm there. Since the exchange all
depends on what is brought in, I guarantee nothing. I'm going to take up
some wood of my Pound Sweet apple in the back yard. It's an early huge apple
that is tart and makes a delightful pinkish applesauce.

Cheers,
Karen Black
Blodgett, OR