homestead - [Homestead] Something Different OT

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Something Different OT
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:19:42 -0500

I think I am gonna take a few days and do something different, and you
might just get to see me do it.
I am an alumni of Reinhardt College, a small college nestled in the
foothills of North Georgia. Tonight, I got an email from the alumni
office asking for my help. Usually, they want money for the college,
but this time, well, they want warm bodies to do labor....Here's a
portion of the email...
Help a very deserving local family, the Tipton-Smiths of Waleska in nearby Lake Arrowhead!

Volunteers (age 18 or older) are needed at the build site 24 hours a
day beginning Saturday, Jan. 13 through Wed., Jan. 17. (As further
specifics are made available, I'll send updates.)

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, a show that runs each Sunday at 8 p.m. on ABC, is building out their home. On the show every week they
feature a deserving family. On March 4th, the show will feature a family from Waleska, and the build begins tomorrow.

A bit about the family - In 2005 their home in Lake Arrowhead was destroyed by fire. Soon thereafter, Faith, her two daughters and her
son, Ransom, selected a house plan that was to become their dream home. Three months into construction, Ransom and his sister Missy were in a car accident that took Ransom's life. (This was also the accident that took the life of Alex Yurewich - the son of Elaine Yurewich, who has worked in Reinhardt's bookstore for many years.) Due to massive hospital bills, construction of the Tipton-Smith's home had to stop. Then a hazardous mold problem developed in the work that had been done. With the help of Oakwood Homes, its building partners and RBC Centura Bank, the Tipton-Smith's home will
be finished and landscaped by Thursday, Jan. 18.

Already several student groups, faculty and staff have expressed interest in volunteering. To volunteer, please print out and sign a
release bring it to the volunteer sign-in tent at the entrance to Lake Arrowhead off Hwy. 108. It would be great if you would wear Reinhardt shirts, hats, jackets, etc. We would welcome copies of digital photos of students, faculty and staff who participate. Also, Reinhardt was asked to provide tuition scholarships to the two daughters of the family, and Dr. Isherwood has agreed to do so.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it???
I talked to Kate this evening, she's also an alum, and I think we are
going to do this together. She found about it a different way-she and a
co-worker had lunch today in the same restaurant as Ty Pennington, who
had just arrived in Canton for the week. (For those not familiar with
the area, Canton is the county seat of an adjacent county from me, a bit
over an hour away from here. Kate works in Canton. Reinhardt and
Waleska are about 7 miles this side of Canton.
Anyway, the Lake Arrowhead resort/community (8000+ acres) brings back
strong memories for me...I first sailed on that lake(500 acre lake, the
largest man made , privately owned lake in the South) with my former
fiance on his katamaran. My math professor lived out there, and as a
concert pianist, we often went to concerts at his home. I've eaten many
meals and had one of the most romantic nights of my life at the
clubhouse on the lake. Away from the development, out in the woods,
there used to be a clearing in the woods that we (all the students)
called The UFO, because it looked like a UFO landing site. :) The UFO
was a party/makeout place, a lover's lane of sorts plus a place where we
would all go to build bonfires, drink mass quantities of alcohol, and
just chill. It was at the UFO that I passed on the marijuana and picked
up a pack of cigarettes....I had some good times at the UFO....really
good times... :)
Anyway, I think I am going to Lake Arrowhead tomorrow or Sunday. Kate's
signing us up and said they want volunteers for 9 hour shifts around the
clock.. it'll be a trip down memory lane, AND it's a good cause, I think.

Bev in NW Georgia

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.