homestead - Re: [Homestead] Herbivores on the Porch

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Herbivores on the Porch
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:41:26 -0600

On 1/11/07, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

It was nice of Gloria not to out me as, being an experienced goat
person, I still feel like I should have headed off the goat escape had
my brain been working. OTOH, the other friend involved is the woman
who got me into goats, and she's had years and years more experience
than I have (I've only had goats since about 1990).

I think few people have real experience introducing a doe to an
excited horse in the dark of night. Well, now 3 people have such
experience!!!

Oh well, I really needed the exercise provided from tramping for hours
through the forested sand dunes (yeah, I know that sounds like a
contradiction but it's a fairly accurate description -- the trails
through the forest have the consistency of beach sand and there's
cactus in them thar hills).

That is an apt description of Sand Ridge. It is a very sandy forest.
VERY sandy. Walking around here puts muscles on your legs!

The goat escape has been avidly followed in two state agencies and one
K-12 school. I had to repeat the story several times when I staggered
(walking in sand alerts you to muscles you'd long since forgotten you
had) into work Wednesday morning.

I learned today that word of the reason for my absence from work on
Tuesday had spread throughout the agency. The larger portion of the
agency is in Chicago. It is fairly safe to say that I'm rather unique
in the agency. I think they thought they might have a redneck in their
midst before this (the 3/4 ton Chevy was one clue, casual mention of
shooting another, living in the country another, doing odd things like
hauling hay, etc.), but the story of my exploits with the goat
confirmed their suspicions beyond a shadow of a doubt. :-D

Marie, now living in a rat-free environment (or at least the rats are
no longer eating the poison cubes, and I no longer hear the pitter
patter of tiny feet)

WOOHOO!!! I'm sure that makes you happy! The pitter patter of little
rodent feet ..... ****shudder*****

Gloria