homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed saving

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed saving
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 08:15:57 -0500

For those who wish to learn how to save seeds I recommend Seed to
Seed, by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy.

I have that book as part of my homesteading library, Gene. I think
that was based on a previous recommendation you made. I thoroughly
agree with you.

I use the book as a reference for seed saving and general pollination
type questions. For instance, the squash section explains what
squashes will cross and which won't. I never really understood that
you can grow 2 or 3 types of squash side by side and not have them
cross.

The book takes you through growing the seed, harvesting it and then
gives good saving techniques. For instance, I learned that letting
tomato seed ferment for a few days before saving it helps eliminate
carry over of soil born diseases.

This is a great reference book.

Rob - Va