homestead - [Homestead] Behomoth Blueberries

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Behomoth Blueberries
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:42:46 -0500

I have a "patch" of blueberries that are about 10 feet tall, maybe higher, and about 15x15 in area. The area used to be 20x15, but part of the 'patch' has died. The shoots are coming up thick, and I think this is contributing to the die off.
Int he past, we usually just prune out the dead wood and leave the rest. Once or twice in 8 years, we have taken the hedgeclippers and hedged back the top growth.
My question is this.. other than berry size the following year, how does hard pruning/hedging back help or hinder the shrub?

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky