homestead - Re: [Homestead] GM or non GM natural wheat...blurring the lines?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] GM or non GM natural wheat...blurring the lines?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:07:57 -0800

Just pondering the whole "we don't know why" of the wild wheat having/being able to process or whatever the various nutrients. Perhaps it is because "commercial" wheat is grown in soils that have become so depleted that the only way to survive is to keep the nutrients in the growing/support part of the wheat, ie. the straw.

And, if this is the case, then the crossing won't work for long anyway because it might have been a natural progression based on what a poor job mankind has done of being a stewart of the land.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

"What this gene does is it uses better what is in the plant already,
so rather than leave the protein and the zinc and iron in the straw,
we've moved a little bit more into the grain," Dubcovsky said.

I don't have a problem with crossbreeding domestic with wild plants.
I do have a problem understanding the mineral flow. This "scientific"
system might work for couple years but if the zinc and iron in the
ground are not replenished then the straw will become deficient in
those minerals and will become weaker and less and less will move
into the grain.

If it isn't in the soil, it cannot get into the straw or the grain.