homestead - [Homestead] Update on homesteady things

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Update on homesteady things
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 03:36:20 -0500

Despite working all morning and half the afternoon on the chicken coop
and chicken moat, it still isn't done. We had a star party this
evening, and for whatever reason, people started showing up at 3:30,
which of course, limited the amount of work done. I also had to clean
the house, blow off the deck, and get the materials ready for the
observing session, so I didn't eat until about an hour ago. Going all
day on just coffee doesn't provide the energy needed for labor, that's
for sure. Everyone packed up and left around midnight, and I was able
to convince Ron to take me to the only place open for dinner-Waffle
House! I had forgotten just how entertaining Waffle House can be after
midnight....lol We rarely eat out, and it must have been 20 years or
more since we ate out after midnight, so it was a bit of a
treat...yup...it's not too often you hear the words "Waffle House" and
"treat" in the same sentence..lol. I love patty melts!
No chickens were lost today, thank goodness, and hopefully the
pre-observing activities scared away the coons for a while. What were
the activities you ask? Well, this is the South, and what do a bunch of
Southerners do for fun on a Saturday afternoon during deer season? Why,
we shoot guns!! ;)
Many of our friends and fellow astronomers live in suburban
neighborhoods where they can't practice shooting, so today everyone
brought their personal weapons and we all had a blast with some target
practice. Those who did not have weapons watched and learned, and two
even fired a pistol for the first time. I don't understand it, but city
people are fascinated by our lifestyle, so when someone asks if we are
changing our community, I would say, yes, but in subtle ways. We had a
new homeschooling teen and his family show up, a REALLY bright 15 year
old with an interest in astronomy. I enjoyed talking with him and his
family and I think they will be back.
I am totally out of hay/straw and I have not been able to find the time
to drive around getting those haybales like I had planned, so tomorrow
I'll head out to the back pasture with a slingblade to whack some grass
for the nestboxes in the new coop. Once we get the chickens secured with
the fencing we have on hand, I will go back through the garden area and
remove all the temporary barriers I had put on the beds to protect my
garlic from the chickens. Just in case anyone is interested, my
barriers are old tomato cages, some vertical(for the bush cherries and
sapling trees), and some I flattened, then shaped in a V, and turned it
upside down over the garlic. It worked pretty good as a temporary
barrier to keep the chickens from scratching, so good that I am thinking
of using the cages in a flower bed next to the greenhouse. It should
keep any errant chickens from scratching and support the dahlias,
asparagus babies, and glads all at the same time.
The new astronomy club members came in for hot chocolate afterwards and
were fascinated by the woodstove. I can see that these people are like
minded in a lot of ways. They had liked the idea of a woodstove, but
had discounted getting one because they were afraid it would not
sufficiently heat the house...LOL...that fear was erased. It was a
roasty night..I guess I tossed 2 or 3 hickory logs on the fire instead
of 2 or 3 sweetgum..lol People were shucking jackets left and right.
The house is clean now, but I still have about 6 baskets of clothes to
fold. I've been procrastinating that job all week..well, that's not
true. What's true is that I have only folded one basket of clothes
since we came back from Mountain Lakes 10 days ago. I'm a sloth. I hate
folding clothes. I'd rather shovel rabbit poop than fold a basket of
clothes. But we are now to a point where the drawers are empty, so it
must be done. :) Tomorrow...I'll definitely do it tomorrow.
Before I hit the sack tonight, I've got to get some beans soaking for
dinner tomorrow as well as a batch of chili. I'm marinating some jerk
pork, so the beans will be a great side along with some Anaheims mixed
in. This will use up the last of the home grown black beans, leaving
only the store bought black beans. I'm mixing the black beans with
Great Northern for a color contrast. For those who grow beans for
drying, how do you calculate how much to plant? I can never seem to
plant enough to make it through one year, let alone two. I have the
same problem with broccoli and cabbage and the other cole crops...I
can't ever seem to plant enough.
Talked to my stepfather today and he asked me to ask you guys for a
recommendation for a good burpless cucumber. He's not picky about OP
vs. hybrid, just wants a good, burpless cuke. Suggestions?

Due to unresolved family issues, Ron and I have decided to go
fishing/canoing on Thanksgiving instead of going to either parents
house. TJ won't make it home, and Kate's going to her in-laws, so it
seems like it would be a good time to do something different. We
haven't been to a movie theatre since Lord of the Rings came out (I
think that was the last time, anyway), so we may go to see Bobby that
night. I don't know if that will happen, but it's a maybe. I was 7
years old when he was shot, and I am interested in learning more, even
from a fictitious source.

It's almost time for seed ordering here...I'm making my list and
checking it twice. :) I've got to get those raised beds done.
I just can't seem to accomplish anything lately.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky