homestead - Re: [Homestead] water costs.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] water costs.
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 08:20:01 -0600

We have a well on the property but I'm thinking that
installing pump ect. brobably will be more expensive
than hooking up to the rural water system, $650
hookup fee + twice as much pipe to run out to the
road.
Any thoughts on that.

Any unused well is a question mark. Talk to local well drillers to see if one has the record of how deep yours is. Talk to your neighbors and ask them how much they spend for each system. Many will no doubt still be on wells but some will be on the system. Using the well, if it is good, gives you more protection against future price hikes for rural water system and more control over quality. You are then subject to potential rises in electricity and outages. If you are served by one of the many Missouri electric coops, the recent rate hike, the first in twenty years, must be used to calculate well delivery costs. If your area has frequent outages you may wish to consider a generator. Depends on how dependent you become on either system and how you prepare for the inevitable problems. When we have a big storm coming through we fill a couple clean buckets. Saves having to carry water from the stream if the electricity goes out.

  • Re: [Homestead] water costs., Gene GeRue, 11/01/2006