homestead - Re: [Homestead] Falling housing prices

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Falling housing prices
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:55:02 -0500

I'd think housing prices will affect land prices.

Only when the land is destined to become subdivisions. The land desired by homesteaders is rougher and more rural.

Ken Johnson and Glen Fuguitt are demographers perhaps most informed about this subject in America. Here is something of theirs:

Résumé / Abstract

During the past several decades, rural America has experienced turbulent demographic change. We examine rural age-specific migration data for 1950 to 1995 to ascertain whether the numerous economic, social, and technological factors buffeting nonmetropolitan America have altered migration patterns across age groups and types of counties. Both continuity and change are evident in the analysis. We find differentiation in the migration profiles of certain specialized types of rural counties, as well as temporal variability from decade to decade. No clear longitudinal trend in migration patterns is present, however. In fact, an underlying continuity in age-specific trends has endured through good times and bad

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1549796