homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dryland agriculture

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dryland agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:51:38 -0500

On 10/18/06, Rob <becida AT comcast.net> wrote:

I think this stuff is interesting, I've been
reading it for some time and watching the changes in reporting.
Anyway this one was a bit different.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20061015/OPINION/110150097

The consensus in the part of the scientific community that studies
this stuff is that global warming is real. In addition to everything
else, sun activity has changed (it's cyclical, so it will -- hopefully
-- return to doing what it was doing) and is contributing to screwed
up weather.

Regardless of whatever else happens, it seem apparent that the climate
is changing, in some places much more profoundly than others (just ask
the people of the far north), and I think it's prudent on a personal
level to look ahead a bit regarding water supplies and the extremes of
carrying capacity.

I'm not kidding when I say I'm thankful to be old enough to not have
to deal for very long with the major climate changes that are coming.
Even if global warming is a short-term aberration, we have been
blessed in the US with nearly perfect and predictable weather for 60
or 70 years -- long enough for people to expect it rather than to
realize that it's been a sweet interlude. Even without input from
global warming, there are rough times ahead.

Marie