homestead - [Homestead] Missouri land we found on our trip-need opinions

  • From: "Clint L. Novak" <CNovak AT CNS.COM>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Missouri land we found on our trip-need opinions
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:48:37 -0500

So, we went on our trip to Missouri. We were going to look at 39 acres
for $72,000 which turned out to be almost all steep hill and the realtor
shows us a 30 acre piece that is more usable for $115,000 which is
pretty far over our budget.

Here's the strange part: We tried to look at the same piece in June but
it had supposedly be "just sold yesterday" when I called on it. The MLS
showed it for $95,000. Now the guy who bought it is the same guy who
owned it sometime in the recent past. He just decided to buy it again,
and the realtor convinced him to sell it again 3 months later(for
$20,000 more). I emailed the realtor to get the new MLS and he said
there isn't one, he just has an "Authorization to Show".

Something seems odd about the whole deal, but we like the property. It
only has 10-12 acres of usable land, but a fairly nice access to the
Black River. He already said the owner would probably take $10,000
less, which is only still $10,000 more than it was advertised at in
June. Going price for riverfront land is usually about $2000 an acre and
they claim it has $20,000 in improvements, which gets me a price tag of
about $80,000. The improvements incude a well, electric and septic(not
where I'd like it) and a slab where a cabin could go(again not where I'd
put it).

We've taken a slow cautious approach and if it sells, so be it, I'm just
not sure what all needs to happen to ensure we don't get taken.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clint(confused but still reaching for the ring)