homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic planting board

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic planting board
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:06:19 -0400

Thanks. This is great. I vaguely remember seeing something like this in
Organic Gardening or Mother Earth years ago. Husband can surely whip this
up out at his scrap lumber pile!

ANything which permits standing to plant or harvest is wonderful!

>>Gene -- please describe your "planting board". It sounds like something I
>>could use. How do you use it? How do you make it?
>
>I should have known. I had put it away for another year and had to go
>get it to take measurements. You probably expect me to remember the
>measurements. Hah!
>
>It is a one-by-four board about three and a half feet long with seven
>dowels sticking out. I drilled three-quarter-inch holes every six
>inches part way through the board, inserted three-quarter-inch dowels
>that protrude two inches. I drilled pilot holes from the other side
>and put in countersunk screws to secure the dowels, one big screw per
>dowel. Can't remember how deep I drilled, probably a half inch.
>
>Some years later I reinforced the board by screwing another one-by
>onto the top. I prepare the soil, then lay the board down and step on
>it to push the dowels into the soil. Voila, the planting holes. You
>could use a two-by instead of two one-bys, but it needs to be strong
>enough to take your weight when you stomp on it.

  • Re: [Homestead] Garlic planting board, clhw, 09/21/2006