homestead - [Homestead] Eminent domain, Missouri's new law

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Eminent domain, Missouri's new law
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:28:41 -0500

After four years of heated debate, the Kelo decision spurred Missouri lawmakers to get the deal done. House Bill No. 1944 ends the debate. Some provisions are:
1. Eminent domain cannot be used solely for the purpose of economic development.
2. Condemning entities must pay 25 percent above market value for homes taken by eminent domain. Farms held by the same family for 50 years or more are valued at 150 percent.
3. Farmland cannot be declared "blighted" in order to justify the use of eminent domain.
4. A landowner's Bill of Rights is established and an office of ombudsman is created.

Debate got a bit heated at times, with utility companies complaining loudly. Chris Koster, a state senator, brought the warring factions into his office for an airing and compromising session. "My definition of a perfect bill is one where you make everybody a little bit mad. I think we can safely say we did that," says Hobbs. "Everybody gave a little bit on this bill."

Source: Rural Missouri, August 2006 (sent to all Missouri electric co-op members)

  • [Homestead] Eminent domain, Missouri's new law, Gene GeRue, 09/20/2006