homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scythes - was DR Walk-behind Bush hog

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scythes - was DR Walk-behind Bush hog
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:14:31 -0400

I've got a scythe snath with a short brush blade. Well peened and honed it
fells the rankest weeds with less (yes that's LESS) effort than drovering the
big walk behind bush hog. Most people who haven't done it imagine that
scything is very heavy labor of swinging the thing like a demented samurai.
That's
not how it's done. You rest the heel of the scythe on the ground and scoot it
along as if you were shaving the pasture. The scythe with the brush blade
stays oiled up an under the eave of the chicken coop. Whenever anyone has a
spare twenty or thirty minutes, they grab it and amuse themselves in the
pasture.
Over the course of a season the whole holding gets gone over twice or more
without anyone much breaking into a sweat over it at any one time.

I'm interested in this. I used a bush hog this year behind my tractor.
I hate all the noise. I'd like to try using a scythe.

Where did you get yours? I don't see many old ones here at auction and
those are possibly beyond repair. I've seen a couple of sources for
scythes, the were pricey, but if well cared for probably worth it.

Rob - Va