homestead - [Homestead] Muscovy Ducks

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Muscovy Ducks
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:52:09 -0400

Hey gang,

Through the local freecycle, I picked up a flock (6) of Muscovy ducks.
Three are black/blue (one drake, two hens) and three are white & brown
flecked (one drake, two hens). The black drake appears to be the alpha
male, if there is such a thing in the duck world. They are staying in what
used to be the henhouse. [Our last lonely hen departed this earth a week or
so ago, she was the only one left after the stray adopted dog got loose and
killed the remaining chicken flock. The stray dog is gone for good--no more
problems there.] I've observed them drinking water and eating laying mash
and cucumbers, so they are getting used to their new home and have found the
food. The Border Collies will be introduced to the ducks when we release
them outside in a few days. This was a sudden thing, just read about the
ducks on freecycle last night and picked them up this afternoon--have spent
part of the day cruising the internet reading up on Muscovy's. Sounds like
it's the perfect duck breed for us. Excitement plus. ;)

Lisa