homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reason for celebration-TJ

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reason for celebration-TJ
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:41:33 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Fabulous news. Give that fine young man high fives and a salute from Uncle Gene.

If I could only see him, I would. I counted it up. Since he left in
late 2004 at the age of 17, he's only been home a total of 10 days. It
doesn't look promising for him to get home for any length of time in
August or September, either, and once in Hawaii, I know I'll be lucky to
see him once a year. That's the hardest part...I missed his 18th
birthday, last two Christmases, his 19th birthday...all holidays this
year....He did say that he wants to come home for a rest and to bowhunt
this year (the Navy nuclear schools are very strenuous(12-20 hour
days)-they basically pack 2 years of college and a year of training into
2 years of school.
However, once he graduates this school 3 weeks from now, his Navy
schools will transfer into certain Nuclear Engineering programs and he
will get 2 years of college credit for them.
For those who aren't familiar with my family. My son, TJ, of my two
children, is the youngest at 19 and the one who most took to being a
homesteader. He loves primitive skills (Christopher Nyerges is his
hero), was homeschooled and unschooled for over 3 years, became an Eagle
Scout, and basically could have gotten into any college he wanted
because he scored very high on his SAT and ACTs. He was building a
really cool ballista out of truck parts when he left. He's an excellent
marksman, welder, gardener, hunter, all-round good kid. He suffered
from ADHD and had all the associated impulse control issues that go
along with that when he was little, but we overcame that, got him off
the medications, and he now has a really bright future. He talks about
staying in the Navy for 20 years, retiring at the age of 37, and working
as a Nuclear Engineer somewhere closeby, maybe in Tennesee. He says his
life goal is to make nuclear power a safer alternative and possibly
design cleanup and storage systems better than what we have today....
Yeah, we have come a LONG way, and yeah, I am VERY proud. So, for those
of you with ADHD kids and all that goes along with that, for those who
homeschooled or unschooled but ended up back in public school....here's
your success story. Most of the list knows the "troubles I've seen...."
LOL

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W