homestead - [Homestead] Bee-ing in Today's Economy

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Bee-ing in Today's Economy
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

Today's Orion - I'd no idea they were threatened -
Sandy

...the varroa mites, following on the heels (perhaps not a very apt mite
metaphor) of the less devastating but equally exotic tracheal mites, decimated
all kinds of beehives, and threatened all kinds of crops. This spring almond
growers in California were flying in beehives from Australia to service their
$5
billion harvest. The National Academy of Sciences is apparently considering
adding honeybees to the endangered species list. It is, more or less, a
disaster
of the kind that we’re becoming all too used to.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/pages/om/06-4om/McKibben.html

Get free email at http://www.highdesert.com

  • [Homestead] Bee-ing in Today's Economy, sanrico, 07/19/2006