homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blackberry season

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blackberry season
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

Bev,

You are simply indefatigable!

Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
I spent the morning picking blackberries with a friend; the bushes are
about 10% ripe, but we still managed to pick about 2 gallons worth.
We've decided to go back every other day for the next week or so. I
don't know what's worse, rabbit scratches or bramble scratches on your
arms. When I got home, I picked a slew of cherry tomatoes and
tomatillos, so I've got my work cut out for me for the next day or so,
just in the kitchen. I thought I would make a cobbler first, then start
making jam in a couple of days. I might just freeze the berries and
make jam in the Fall. My current cobbler recipe has a doughy texture to
the crust and I like more crispy cobbler, so if anyone has a crispy
cobbler crust recipe, I would love for you to share.
I found this recipe for Baked Cherry Tomatoes,
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0896/cherryto.html
and I intend to make that tonight to go with the rest of the lamb in the
frig....I've never made this before, but it sounds delicious.
I also found this recipe for "Fireballs".....
http://www.recipezaar.com/11510
and I'll be trying that, too.
I know that cherry tomatoes aren't known as canning tomatoes due to
their sweetness, but if anyone has any other recipe for canning cherry
tomatoes that are lower acid, please let me know. I'm game to try it.
I prefer canned tomatoes over dried tomatoes, but I'll dry them if I
need to.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com

countries) for 2ยข/min or less.