homestead - Re: [Homestead] (Public Markets) Farmers Market Policy presentation last night (from my blog)

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] (Public Markets) Farmers Market Policy presentation last night (from my blog)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Bev -
Sorry about that. I had hoped to post just the link (trying to be helpful) but
that didn't work out either.
Some parts of this blog would seem to apply to the thread we're on, and the
rest
if it is probably blather. I can't quite picture these folks with scraped
knees
and chronically dirty fingernails.
Now I'm off to see what "Tervurens" are, since I'm obviously not who you were
wishing I am!
Thanks for your patience (ya know, speaking from a mostly-lurker's point of
view,
I must say your return is like a ray of very knowledgeable sunshine!) -
Sandy

posted by Richard Layman @ 3:26 AM

Farmers Market Policy presentation last night

Tuesday night was the now annual (this was the third one) presentation about
farmers market policy, held in the Longworth House Office Building, sponsored
by
the chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, Robert Goodlatte of Virginia
(he's from Roanoke, and the Roanoke Farmers Market is in his district).

Large farms have the product and systems to participate in the national and
international sales and distribution system. "Direct" marketing of produce is
way for farmers to capture more of the value from the market chain. Plus, it
is
one of the better ways for truly small farms (under 15 acres) to sell product
and
make a workable, viable, profitable business.

Presentations by Steve Davies of Project for Public Spaces (one of the lead
organizers of the session), Charles Kuperus, Secretary of Agriculture for the
State of New Jersey, and a representative of the Agricultural Marketing
Service
of USDA (it wasn't Ken Clayton, the listed speaker, but I didn't get his name)
were excellent.

One funny thing though about the person speaking from the federal government.
He
discussed the various initiatives of the office, including a Farmers Market
Policy mini-conference, and how they hope that this becomes a more regular
event.
This mini-conference occured at last fall's PPS Farmers Market conference,
and it
was my idea. I raised it at a steering committee meeting, making the point
that
they needed to leverage the opportunity to engage federal policy types, since
the
conference was to be held in Washington.

It was weird to see how my idea is being translated into federal "policy"...

Afterwards there was a nice reception, with food provided by farmers who
participate in farmers and public markets.

Public markets are the permanent buildings, such as Eastern Market, while
farmers
markets are the "temporary" events, such as the Brookland Farmers Market on
12th
Street from 10-2 on Sundays, or at the Metro on Tuesday nights, or the
Historic
Anacostia Farmers Market sponsored by the Capital Area Food Bank, held at
"Peace
Park" on 14th Street between U and V Streets SE, every Wednesday, June through
mid-November, from 3 – 7 pm (or until dark in the fall).