homestead - [Homestead] OT Computer help for family member

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] OT Computer help for family member
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:48:56 -0400

I have a family member who is using Netscape 6.0 for his mail and
browser on a Windows ME system. He didn't empty the trash folder for a
while (he's elderly and not very computer literate and I am trying to
help over the phone) and he also had not compacted folders. Anyway, a
week or so ago, his email delete button starting showing a red X over it
and would not allow him to delete anything. I had him empty the trash
and compact folders, but he says it still shows the red X over the button.
What could be the problem here and how would I help him fix it?
Netscape 6 came on his computer-he doesn't have a disk.
He wants to keep Netscape email and not use any other emailer.(very
important)
He has run virus scans and spyware scans and there doesn't seem to be
any kind of infection.
The only recent thing is that he switched from dialup to DSL a few weeks
ago, just before this happened, and I am thinking that possibly some
kind of file got corrupted in the transition...I don't know.
I use Netscape 7.1 for email and browsing, and I found a site with a
free download, but I am worried that the site I found is just the
browser and doesn't include the email client.
http://www.softslist.com/download-7-5-16389.html
Since everything I have read talks about how buggy Netscape 6 is, I
thought a slight upgrade to 7.1 might be the answer. I'm assuming that
if we install 7.1 over 6.0 that it won't wipe out his folders or
settings (That would just totally confuse the old guy)

Feeling like the blind leading the blind....

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W

  • [Homestead] OT Computer help for family member, Bevanron, 06/17/2006