homestead - Re: [Homestead] Biodiesel

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Biodiesel
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:06:23 -0500

At 6/8/2006, you wrote:
Doing the math on ethanol and any of the other alternate motor fuels leads to
the same dismal conclusion. If we used ALL the corn grown in the US to make
ethanol and used it exclusively as a motor fuel (and deducted the energy it
takes to grow and distill and refine it), our tanks go empty in the early
evening of the first day.

Another figure is that to replace the gasoline we use would take 71% of all the available crop land. Not just corn growing but all the crop land. We would go from an importer of oil to an importer of food. In ethanol calculations, they are using best case but the corn diverted to ethanol is the marginal corn, corn grown with the most expensive inputs.

There ain't no free lunch. Most of the ideas being presented by politicians and others are designed to keep your mind off the real problem and to assure you that there will be no sacrifices.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal