homestead - [Homestead] More on NAIS

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] More on NAIS
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:12:22 -0700

(Received 4/19/06 from G.B. Oliver with the Paragon Foundation)

NAIS - National Animal Identification System

By Derry Brownfield

While we are calling NAIS a "national" system, it is actually a global
plan that has been in operation in Great Britain, Canada and Australia
for several years. This plan didn't just bounce off the wall of some
bureaucrat's office over the lunch hour. The multinational corporations
with the help of the United States Department of Agriculture have had
this in the planning stage for over a decade. Jim Fraley, who is now
Livestock Program Director for the Illinois Farm Bureau served as
co-chairman of the first INFO ID EXPO, held in St. Louis more than ten
years ago. He writes: "At that time, we introduced a wealth of
technology to the industry and started building the framework which
would ultimately become the NAIS."

The Bioterrorism Act of 2002 funded the Animal ID program with a $380
million grant for the development of a written plan. According to
Travis Parcsi, Operations Manager, Australia started an Animal ID
program over six years ago. According to the backers of this plan, "It
is needed to protect our high standards of animal health and to provide
a timely traceback (within 48 hours) in the event of the discovery of a
foreign animal disease. With an Animal ID system in place, we can do
targeted testing to lock down and stop animal movement quickly,
disrupting fewer livestock operations. Without a system in place, we
must cast a much broader net."

Before we discuss the details of how NAIS will affect an animal owner,
let's take a quick look at the history of animal agriculture. From the
time settlers started farming until after World War II, our farms and
ranches were diversified. There were the cattle barons of the Wild
West, but most of the beef was raised on farms and ranches along with
hogs, chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, turkeys and any other form of
livestock. During the 1950's and early 60's, the large intergraded
operators literally took over the poultry industry. The backyard flocks
were mostly eliminated and the Multinational's like Cargill and Tyson
controlled the market. In the 1980's the swine industry went the way of
the poultry. Very few producers today raise hogs to sell on an open
market. The Same corporations that control the poultry and hogs are
also in the beef packing business, however cattle need grass and lots of
land on which to graze. While cattle are mostly finished in large
feedlots, the calves are born and raised on farms and ranches in every
state in the Union. While the packers can and do control the market for
fed cattle, they have not been able to successfully manipulate the
market for replacement cattle.

If every animal in the livestock producing countries of the world was
recorded in a database, what an advantage the meat processors would have
in controlling prices paid to the producers. With such a system in
place, the multinationals will know when and where every calf is born,
where it is being fed and when it will be ready to slaughter. In order
for the multinationals to get this information we as livestock producers
must cooperate. We must first sign up for a premise number for our
ranch, farm, feedlot, auction market and any other location where the
animals may be raised, housed, fed or handled. The premise number will
show location by GPS (Global Positioning Satellite). Each location will
receive a 7 charter code issued by the State or the USDA.

Next comes the Animal Identification, which calls for tagging all
domestic animals with a radio frequency transmitter that can be read at
sale barns, packing plants, county fairs or wherever the animal may
happen to be. Each animal will get a 15 digit number beginning with
(840) which denotes that the animal was born in the US. The following
12 digits are the animal's unique national number.

Digital Angel Corporation bills itself as, "An advanced technology
company in the field of rapid and accurate identification, location,
tracking and monitoring of high-value assets." The company's
traceability system includes electronic tags and scanners as well as a
database system that can provide for the registration, tracking and
source verification for the animals tagged in the national
identification program. The company's products also include
identification and monitoring of HUMANS, pets, fish and livestock
through its patented implantable microchips. Needless to say, this
company is doing everything possible to convince the government that
Animal ID is the only way to protect America's food supply. The Senate
version of the 2006 Agriculture Appropriations Bill makes specific
reference to Digital Angel Technology and allocated $33.3 million for
projects related to the Animal ID program. The company expects to sell
more than 3 million electronic RFID tags in the US this year and the
program hasn't been made mandatory. In the United States we slaughter
approximately 612,000 head of cattle each week for an annual total of
over 31 million head. The tags can only be used once so that many more
will be sold each year.

As stated earlier, these RFID tags and implantable microchips can be
used in anything that walks, squawks, flies, or has fur, scales, hair or
feathers. Therefore, the Animal ID is not just about identifying meat
animals. Every animal on your farm must have an ID number. According
to the USDA, plans are being developed to ID lamas, alpacas, cattle,
bison, deer, elk, horses, mules, donkeys, goats, sheep, ostrich, emus,
swine and poultry. Even if you keep one chicken or a pair of rabbits in
your backyard you must be a part of the system. The Texas state law
goes so far as to ID a parakeet or canary in someone's apartment.

To advance the plan and brainwash the people the government is using the
"crisis management" - "problem-reaction-solution" process. We need a
problem so we will create mad-cow disease and a bird-flu pandemic. Now
we must create a solution - Animal Identification. This will allow the
major packers and food processors as well as the manufacturers of RFID
technology who make handsome contributions to both Democrat and
Republican campaigns to integrate the cattle industry and increase
profits.

The Amish farmers say any computer-based tagging will cost people their
salvation and refer to the Book of Revelation. If you attend a
livestock auction you will not be able to buy or sell without a premise
ID and your livestock will not be allowed to sell without an animal ID.
Rev. 13: 17, "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the
mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." Is this the
forerunner of population control? Could this be a global program to
upgrade and fine tune the technical skills needed in this gigantic
operation of identifying millions of animals and birds? Once in place
the system can very easily be adapted to the human population. The
American people are already being desensitized to accept this
technology.

In the 1970's Sweden began implanting microchips into hospital patients
without their knowledge as part of a mind control experiment. In 1999
the August edition of TIME MAGAZINE carried a story about how the
University of Virginia Hospital planned to begin micro-chipping all
newborns in the belly buttons to prevent baby snatching. The Weekly
Reader that goes out to grade schools throughout our nation conducted a
poll of fourth graders asking, "Would you have a VeriChip implanted in
your body?" Over 2000 kids voted - 85% YES and only 15% NO.

Once the Department of Agriculture makes regulations (not laws passed by
Congress - just bureaucratic regulations) that all livestock must be
identified by Radio Frequency Identification to guarantee the safety of
our food, is there any reason that the Department Homeland Security
won't make similar regulations requiring all humans to likewise be
implanted to guarantee the security of our nation?

  • [Homestead] More on NAIS, Lynda, 04/30/2006