homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crichton's latest book

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crichton's latest book
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:01:11 -0600

<<Interesting, yes. But the real religious component isn't so much whether
the
climate is warming or not, but whether it is being influenced by human
activity.>>

I agree, and there's the rub. Weather changes are in fact taking place, and
insurance companies -- not known for their religiosity -- are factoring them
in.

Since the religious aspects of global warming have center stage, the powers
that be seem to believe it's their patriotic duty to ignore the increase in
weather instability.

In my own personal life, which is attuned to the weather far more closely
than the average consumer's, I'm wondering how to plan. The last several
years have been so dry that gardening without irrigation has been useless.

I would like to see some long range forecasts for the area. Maybe I should
sell the place and move in with Mom, who sits over a huge aquifer (of
course, that would shorten both our lives, but she is 87 and hasn't got that
much to lose).

Marie