homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed Saving

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed Saving
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:26:58 -0800

Tracy wrote:

Hi all.

I'm trying to warm thoughts, so I was wondering if any of you have any favorite reference books on seed saving, how to clean and store seeds properly after harvesting, etc. I've found some info on the web, but only generalized stuff. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I really enjoyed "Seed To Seed", an oversized paperback with info on just about every possible veggie known to man. The cross-pollination info is particularly precise. For instance, I learned that maca (Lepidium mayenii) and winter cress (L. sativum) cannot cross, and this detail was important because I grow both plants. Apparently, hot rocoto peppers (Capsicum pubescens) won't cross with the regular (C. annuum) kind, so that makes it possible to have sweet pimentos and hot rocotos (whose fruits look almost alike) growing in the same patch, and still save the seed.

Bill
S. Oregon coast