homestead - [Homestead] Journey Of Man

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Journey Of Man
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:29:01 -0800

The other night I saw a new show on Spencer Wells's work on the evolution of y-chromosomal DNA. One interesting thing that they mentioned was that Thomas Jefferson belonged to the Middle Eastern patrilineage. They speculated that his Urvater was a Phoenician, but he could just as well have maybe been Etruscan (via Rome), or Jewish, or modern Arab, some of whom integrated into the culture of France following A. D. 711.

I found this webpage that summarizes the journey of our forefathers in a map. If Etruscans were originally Middle Eastern, it would be through the line into Asia Minor marked in blue on the map. Apparently northern Europeans really did really all once live in "mother Russia" after having crossed the Urals 30,000 years ago.

You can see many of the things I've mentioned in posts, on this map. For instance, you can see that the Athabaskans (really Austronesians, marked in black on the map) aren't nearly as closely related to the so-called Amerindians as the latter are to northern Europeans, both having originated in northwestern Asia around 35,000 years ago. In fact, they share the distinction, as you'll notice if you study the map closely, of being the only two lineages of men who lived in an ice-covered landscape for tens of thousands of years. They are the original ice people, and the Viking, Lapp, Chukche, and Inuit (back when they still lived a traditional lifestyle) are the perpetuators of that Ice Age culture.

Similar research has been done on mitochondrial DNA, which we all inherit from our mothers. But for some women, SW's research creates a new sense of urgency, because they don't have Y-chromosomal DNA of their own. So for female only children, or ones with only sisters, if dad's getting on a bit, then a window is closing on the opportunity to learn which patrilineage they belong to.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/04/14/journeyOfMan2,0.jpg