homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:41:39 -0800

This was lost in the Junk email box.

Who doesn't love madrone? I don't see any growing in the local area, and I have underground water flows everywhere here. And who doesn't have enough firewood?

I'm talking about compost crops. During the last few years when I lived at home, dad and I took to using the ivy clippings to mulch tomato plants. The result was so delightful. Years later I learned that many people are exploring these types of coppice/compost crops.

To be suitable for this purpose, a plant must be perennial, fast growing, with soft foliage (and hopefully no thorns), have a large leaf-to-twig ratio, and be capable of taking care of itself (not to mention vigorous, hardy, etc.). Did I mention that conifers cannot be used? In the whole world, there aren't too many plants that qualify. The closest plant I can think of among natives is wild cherry. In our wet, shady wood, evergreen huckleberry grows bushy and tall, and at some point I'll be composting large amounts of it. No one knows where nettle is "native" to, but it's also a water lover.

So acacia fills a niche that no other compost crop can fill. It completely takes care of itself on the driest of ridges, and you just come along and cut 100 pounds of soft, finely divided biomass in 20 minutes with the loppers. Its seeds and pollen are both abundant food sources, and it's palatable to stock. The toasted seeds taste like chocolate-covered hazelnuts. I wish I lived near the established acacia patches that grow in the area.

Bill

Lynda wrote:

Madrone grows quite nicely under fir trees, they don't like irrigated land, do quite nicely where it is high and dry and is a native. It makes better firewood than acacia. So why not plant a native? And, if you cut them down during the winter, the following spring new sprouts appear and you don't have to plant new madrones, they perpetuate themselves.

As to your fir trees, would you be talking Doug Fir or a real fir? Doug Firs should net you at least $200/1000, minimum. That would be, with the current diesel prices, a lot more than 10% of what the mills are offering. Closer to 50%. I'd suggest you shop around. Or are the mills and loggers up there a lot less honest than the ones down here?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 11:00 AM

Us, to begin with.

Actually I was talking about plants. Here's a small list I typed up
this evening.

1. Acacia dealbata (Silver wattle)

There are no natives that can be expected to persist here on high,
unirrigated ground, other than fir trees. The only particular value of
fir trees, except to squirrels, is to sawmill owners who live forever.
There won't be any production from a planting for many decades, and even
if there were, the crooks will offer me 10% to take it from me.
Furthermore, fir trees toxify the soil and prevent all but adapted
plants from growing under them.

That really only leaves acacia, the drought-tolerant plant that you can
put on any dry hillside and expect to harvest _useful_ biomass in just a
few years. I'm planning to order 4 more for the front driveway edge
today. I wonder where, exactly, is it going to "invade" to from there?
I'd be reluctant to give it access to water, which it has no need for
anyway.