homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ripping up Asphalt and Planting Gardens

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ripping up Asphalt and Planting Gardens
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:25:06 -0700

Gene GeRue wrote:

There has never been a sustainable city anywhere on the planet. Sustainable villages, yes. Sustainable camps, yes. But not cities. Civilization is going to crash, whether or not we help bring this about.

That's as far as I can read. I presume the writer makes his money with this kind of stuff.

Suspect he has not bothered to read the history of cities, which have been around much longer than oil-powered anything. Suspect he has not read how Paris had a wonderful loop of horse manure to intensive gardens and veggies to Parisians. Yes, that is where we get the term: French Intensive Gardening.

Did they grow all the fodder right there in Paris? No, they bought it from local farms. Wow, I'm practicing sustainable ag every day, by dumping 18 qts. of purchased feed for two calves into dishes!