homestead - [Homestead] Off-grid family woes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Off-grid family woes
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:05:14 -0700

Jim and Kerry Lemon say they enjoy living "close to the source." The home they fashioned and built themselves is nestled in a secluded wooded area off a red-dirt road in north Nacogdoches County.

Their two children, Forest and Maya, participated in the design and construction of their own "houses" as part of a home school project. The children's cabins are rustic, wooden structures with large windows overlooking the trees and natural landscape. Wood stoves keep the family warm in the winter. In the summer they rely on natural ventilation to help them stay cool. During the hottest months they vacation in cooler climates or near water.

The Lemons have created a unique alternative living environment without electricity or traditional water services. An organic vegetable garden provides the family with food. Rain run-off collected from the roof is pumped up into a 20 ft. water tower with gravity flow bringing it into the house for their personal use. Lighting and refrigeration are fueled by propane and kerosene.

For the Lemons, these natural surroundings have provided an idyllic setting for their chosen lifestyle.

All of that has changed with increased Exxon activity in the area. "When I moved out here 30 years ago, the land mineral rights were leased by Exxon and there was an existing natural gas well at the entrance to my property." Lemon said. "There was a large cylinder with fire going through it. I was told that the gas field was almost depleted at that time. "About ten years ago that old well was replaced with the current set up which includes a storage tank filled with what Exxon calls "soap". When that tank began leaking Lemon called the oil company in an effort to find out what, exactly, was seeping into the soil. Among the things listed by the oil company in response to Lemon's query was the solvent ethanol as well as "other secret ingredients".

The other part of the new operation was a transfer station located at the entrance to their property which includes two large tanks bearing hazardous material placards that say "Caution Benzene, Carcinogenic Hazards".

Lemon was diagnosed with leukemia in May 2004. Exposure to benzene has been linked to blood diseases such as leukemia.

The Lemons say their lives have been disrupted by the oil activity and exploration near their home.

"Over the years we have endured pipe lines crossing our property, seismic testing, a huge compressor which operated for 24 hours a day for months, a tank of flammable liquid which leaked onto the ground, the drilling of numerous wells within a half-mile radius, road destruction, and personal danger from large truck traffic. I have received minimal compensation for damages to my land and trees, not to mention the general disruption."

Last summer while drilling two new well, the oil company used "acid fracs". This is a process where acid is used to fracture rocks beneath the earth in order to release the gas within. "My children woke up in the middle of the night with burning eyes and nausea."! Lemon said. "They were scared so we left and went to stay at a friend's house at 1 am."

Lemon called Exxon employees that night but couldn't reach anyone who knew about the specific operations at these well. It wasn't until the next day that he learned the cause of their discomfort was likely caused by the acidic gas in the air. "It trickled down to our house and just hung in the air." He said. "We don't have air conditioning so our house is open to air flow not closed up like most other houses." Exxon offered to pay for a hotel room for the family while "frac-ing".

According to Jim's wife, Kerry it has been hard to get clear information from the contractors working on-site. "It took a long time just to find out who we were supposed to call about our concerns," she said. "Finally we learned that Exxon is self-regulated in rural areas. The Railroad Commission will handle formal complaints but does not monitor the area otherwise."

The Lemons did make complaints to both the Railroad Commission and Exxon at that time and the left over leaking tank that had been replaced by a new tank but never removed was finally taken off-site. "We asked to be informed of activity from Exxon that could have an impact on our lives," says Kerry. Even so she feels the company hasn't done a very good job explaining their procedures, being more reactive than proactive. "If they would just tell us what's going to happen before it happens, it would help," she says.

This past June the Lemon family found out that yet another well was to be drilled about 100 yards from their home. "We didn't even know they were going to drill next door to us until a timber man came by and said he was hoping to get the trees," Kerry said. "Once we knew that the well was going in, we knew we could expect a lot of noise and activity."

What was once a peaceful country road is now a heavily traveled thoro! ughfare for big trucks and equipment, the Lemons said. "It's pretty obvious they're not going away," Kerry said. "They have become more and more intrusive in our lives."

Not wanting to expose their children or themselves (especially with Jim's current health condition) to any possible chemical hazards and wanting to avoid the noise, lights truck traffic, strange odors and other potential hazards of the nearby well, the Lemons asked an Exxon representative to reimburse them for the expenses incurred to be away from their home during this most recent drilling.