homestead - [Homestead] Sustainable design

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sustainable design
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:41:32 -0500

I noted recently that many large businesses see the wisdom of becoming more environmentally oriented. While American politicians pontificate, businesses are moving forward with or without tax incentives. European nations are in front of us on this as well as other issues. By comparison we seem young and immature. From the homesteader point of view, I check out these designs by leading architectural firms for ideas that I can use in my designs.

Swiss Award to Canadian Projects

by ArchitectureWeek

On September 30, 2005, the Swiss Holcim Foundation for Sustainable Construction honored three North American projects in its annual awards program. The Holcim Foundation, in collaboration with five of the world's leading technical universities, promotes sustainable approaches to environmental design. The awards highlight projects that go beyond technical solutions to consider process, human behavior, and visionary city planning.

Holcim Foundation advisory board member, Rt. Hon. Simon Upton, (France/ New Zealand), explains that while the concept of sustainability is being embraced by many business people and politicians, it often lacks content or coherence. "The Holcim Awards," Upton says, "are important precisely because they challenge participants to think through sustainable solutions in all their dimensions from the bottom up."

Five rounds of awards are being presented this fall, for Europe, North America, Latin America, Africa/ Middle East, and Asia/ Pacific. In the North American group, two awards went to Canadian projects and the third to a U.S. building. In the future, ArchitectureWeek will report on the award recipients from the other continents as well.

Greening of Benny Farm

The Holcim Gold Award 2005/ North America went to the Canadian firm L'OEUF/ Pearl Poddubiuk et Associés, Architectes for a pilot project for affordable housing, "Greening the Infrastructure at Benny Farm," in Montréal, Québec. Three nonprofit housing organizations — COOP CHEZ SOI, Project ZOO, and HCNDG — are involved. >>>

The rest of the story is at:
http://www.architectureweek.com/

  • [Homestead] Sustainable design, Gene GeRue, 10/13/2005