homestead - Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] An article cheering the Supremes
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:43:25 -0700

At 7/6/2005 07:45 AM, you wrote:

>While the SC is indeed the last word, the scope of that last word is strictly
>prescribed. The current SC has stepped beyond that. And I agree with
>Melody that they are the enemy of the Constitution.

The Constitution gives the Supreme Court the final say, whether anyone
likes it or not.

True, they decide (if they want to) if what was done is legal under the Constitution.

Nothing short of wholesale, violent revolution will change
that.

Not true. The Congress, the Executive branch and the Supreme Court are the THREE parts that form our fed govt. Anyone of them can be overruled by the others.
The Constitution CAN be changed through an amendment or by holding another Constitutional Convention.
I'd stay a long ways away from a convention, we'd be a lot easier to manage without that pesky "bill of rights"and I'll bet that would be the first to go at a convention.
It sounds silly but maybe we need an amendment that calls for bringing back the Tenth amendment?

All this arguing about the Constitution is moot. The Supreme Court IS
the law. And it has become predictably, lamentably partisan.

"It has become"... sad but true.
Wasn't it on this list some years back where some talked of serving SC members (in a restaurant) while they were having a meal with established lobbyists?
Fixing this in 'todays' world is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net