homestead - RE: [Homestead] Mad Cow Disease in the news

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Mad Cow Disease in the news
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:24:32 -0500

<<Kinda makes me feel quesy since I ate meatloaf made with grocery store
hamburger last night.... I've got to get over feeling like a murderer for
killing and eating my own animals.>>

I've about given up on ground meat -- no Big Mac will cross my lips -- but
if I want to get some I buy from a grocery or meat store (and we have
several in Springfield) that grinds hamburger from a single source (or two),
as opposed to getting pre-ground burger that may contain bits from hundreds
of cows in a single pound. The chance that any one or two individual animals
has mad cow is extremely low. The more carcasses that contribute to the vat,
the higher the chances go that one of them had the disease.

Marie