homestead - Re: [Homestead] The "Book Burners" Are Out in Force Again

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The "Book Burners" Are Out in Force Again
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:25:56 EDT

Don writes:

> And the book that quote came from was not even on the list.
>
> Why are conservatives so afraid of new ideas? Are they afraid they may
> have to change thinking?

The compilers of that list were conservatives, but it isn't conservatives
that are afraid of new ideas .... that is, it isn't ONLY conservatives that
are
afraid of new ideas. It is the timid who are, especially if that timidity
arises from some sort of exploitation and they are afraid that the
circumstances
of that exploitation will change.

They aren't afraid so much that THEY will have to change thinking but rather
that YOU will. You may see, through a change of thinking ['metanoia' =
change
of thinking, the word translated in the NT as 'repent'], that you really have
nothing to gain from paying them homage, deference, and a tithe (or two or
three) and their parasitic position will be compromised.

This list of books and the comments represents an attitude of "I don't want
you to even mention these ideas ..." The person trying to live their life on
basis of self-reliance and fair exchange does not tend to fear ideas in
themselves or in others.

James