homestead - Re: [Homestead] Punjab Drought Problem/Suicides.

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Punjab Drought Problem/Suicides.
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:44:28 EDT

> Anyone need any additional encouragement to get their land paid for and
> then not borrow against it?

Exactly! Get your land paid for and never borrow against it. Then you can
ride out a very great deal of hard times and survive to the good times. Keep
the overhead low.

We've just about converted all our garden crops to OP seeds, about 60% of
this year's seeds were saved from last year's plants. Even about half the
seed
potatoes were saved from last year's potato crop. Our loop isn't entirely
closed yet but we are very much headed in that direction. It may mean more
modest
results than would be the case if we used a lot of things purchased from off
the farm, but we have grown quite comfortable with modest results.

Else we would be putting our endeavors at the same risk and the Punjab
farmers.

James