homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fix Health Care First

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fix Health Care First
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:02:12 -0600

At 09:47 AM 4/21/05 -0700, you wrote:
>Fix Health Care First
>By David S. Broder
>Thursday, April 7, 2005; Page A31
>
>I had a visit from two of them this week, Dean Baker and David Rosnick of
>the liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research. Their skepticism
>attaches to the notion -- propounded by the Bush White House and accepted
>by most of the inhabitants of the political and journalism worlds -- that
>the Social Security system is in crisis.
<snip>
>But it is more than Medicare that is spinning out of control. The Medicaid
>program, which pays for indigents and for long-term care, is bankrupting
>state budgets. Overall, Americans are paying more for health care than the
>people of any other advanced industrial nation -- and reaping fewer
>benefits, at least as measured by life-span statistics.
>
>In a rational world, fixing health care would come first.

I found this quote a few days ago and I thought it applied very well to
this topic!

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere,
diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies."
— Groucho Marx
http://www.colddeadhands.addr.com/morale/morale.htm

Best wishes,
Melody