homestead - RE: [Homestead] Photo op to bash Social Security

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Photo op to bash Social Security
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 13:12:55 -0500

<<This seems buys into the view expressed by Gene several times that
payments
to SS "clients" would be the last thing to go, that the stock market would
crash first and all economic activity would come to a halt first before
there
would be any curtailment of SS benefits. This isn't a likely or supportable
scenario. >>

I don't imagine we will have a "first one, then another" scenario. I imagine
the whole economic system will begin to fail (and then accelerate in that
direction) simultaneously. Like it or not, it really is one economy. At the
point where the government cannot meet its obligations, it's extremely
unlikely that the private sector will be thriving. Also, regardless of how
independent individuals or individual families are, they are also part of
the general economy (unless maybe they live in the Alaskan bush or some
similarly remote area).

<< What will most likely happen is just what's happening with gas prices.
SS recipients will still get the amount of money they've been promised, it
just won't buy hardly anything any more. Or when it comes to getting all
the tax
money that is possible out of the solvent citizens of the US and it comes to

funding the military and other federal obligations, OR keep SS payments at
an
inflation adjusted level, it will be the latter that will go.>>

I imagine that well before we start making choices like that so many other
social and economic ills will have occurred that not having Social Security
will be the least of our problems.

Marie