homestead - Re: [Homestead] Photo op to bash Social Security

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Photo op to bash Social Security
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:18:10 EDT

> Someone remind this youngster how many members constitute AARP. We, the
> members of AARP, ARE the public sentiment!

First, I qualify for AARP membership. Mailbox has two or three of the damned
applications a month. I will join AARP about half past when Hell freezes
over.

Society has always had its groups of darlings and from time to time that
changes. Yesterday's darlings are tomorrow's (or this afternoon's) parasitic
scourge. Or vice-versa. Today it is effective to portray people of AARP age
as
sweet little old ladies in rocking chairs and anyone who would dare not bury
the next three generations in dept to cover their expenses as someone
chucking
the old lady down the stairs. Oddly at the time of the inception of SS, many
viewed the whole idea with distaste. Why should these people expect any
money
from the working public at large? What had they done wrong that their
families weren't taking care of them? How dare they ask for money having had
lifetime to provide for themselves when we have so many widowed and abandoned
women
with children who much more deserve a stipend than greedy old bastards? If
anyone's interested, I''ll look up the documentation on that, old editorials
and columns at the time expressing just such a sentiment. By the late 50's
and
early 60's the darlings were the children and we created ADIC, WIC, and the
like. To speak against those programs was to speak against motherhood
itself.
Look how the public sentiment over that has changed! I'm not making a
comment as to whether that's good or bad, just that the public sentiment
changed.
Immigrants ... darlings one minute viewed as largely political and economic
refugees and the next the para-militaries guard the border to keep them out.
In my state public education was the unassailable darling but now its
homeschool. Our legislators wet themselves at the thought of being seen as
too solidly
pro public eduction and not solidly behind homeschooling (due largely to its
religious component).

Society's darlings change. The idea that the geezers can forever vote
themselves someone else's money in not based in reality. Although he isn't
getting
anywhere with it, the fact that a president can even tell the truth about the
SS scam shows that times ..... they are a-changin'.

James