homestead - [Homestead] NOW, was An Aussie View of Bush

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] NOW, was An Aussie View of Bush
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:29:09 -0800

This isn't from Australia but I'm sure that our resident guinea pig herder
(y'all know, the one that whines about everything) will find some way to
turn it either against CA or to toss in one of his plastic girl (bitchy)
comments against me.

This week on NOW:

* Backdoor draft? NOW examines the Pentagon's controversial tactics to
put more troops on the ground in Iraq in THE CALL UP.

* Troop's eye view. Get a close-up look at the efforts in one
beleaguered town south of Baghdad to shift from U.S. troops to newly
trained Iraqi troops in A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW.

THE CALL UP

As war rages on, the U.S. Army is desperately short of troops to secure
Iraq. But are the Pentagon's policies to keep up troop levels going too
far? NOW reports on how the Pentagon has been forced to resort to what
critics call a backdoor draft to deal with the severe troop shortage. The
program examines the debate over these hard-line tactics, like extending
tours of duty and reactivating semi-retired soldiers, and looks at their
effects on families. The program features semi-retired Army Major Rick
Howell, who recently was stunned to learn that he's been called up to
serve. "I have not been to a single day of military training in eight
years and they want me to go back and be on active duty," he says. "That's
a disservice to not only this country, but to those young men and
women...who are being thrown into these units."

A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW

With talk of troop departure in the wake of the Iraqi election, NOW goes on
the ground with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit in an area south of
Baghdad known as the Triangle of Death. Alongside Iraqi National Guard and
police there, these Marines have battled tenacious and resilient rebels to
a standstill. But how well would the Iraqis perform without America's help?
Get a soldier's view of the fighting and an insider's look at the gap
between the hopes and reality of the war.

NOW continues online at PBS.org (www.pbs.org/now). Log on to the site for
a Q and A with NOW correspondent Bill Gentile about his time with the 24th
Marine Expeditionary Unit in Iraq; to learn more about the debate over the
shape of a post-9/11 military; to get information on the Stop Loss order
and the role of the National Guard and the Reserves in Iraq; to use an
interactive map and find out if local units in your area are being
deployed; to find resources for veterans and military families; and more.

Hosted by David Brancaccio, NOW has been called "...one of the last
bastions of serious journalism on TV" by the Austin-American Statesmen and
"...public television at its best" by the Philadelphia Inquirer. Each week,
the series sheds light on a wide range of issues confronting the nation and
explores American democracy and culture through investigative reporting and
interviews with major authors, leading thinkers, and artists.

www.pbs.org/now/newsletter.html.