homestead - Re: [Homestead] Independent Reporter tells of the real Iraq

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Independent Reporter tells of the real Iraq
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:56:29 -0700

You know, it seems to me that there are likely some exaggerations, at the
very least, and more likely, downright untruths in this story. I have never
seen anything to verify this story, and with the liberal bias our current
mainstream media has, this is the type of story they would jump on, and milk for all it was worth.

I don't think the media is biased left or right; it depends on the individual doing the reporting. Reporting has in too many cases degenerated into opinion sprinkled with self-serving facts. This occurs with both liberal and conservative writer/speaker/entertainers.

As for reporting in and on Iraq, I think both sides are under-reported, although as with our domestic reportage, the strong tendency is that the sensational--suicide bombings, terrorist killings--is over-reported and good news is under-reported. The military has its agenda and with justification. We the people act out that we want the truth but we steer reporting by our bias toward the sensational. There is both horrific and good news in Iraq. There are not enough reporters to give the full picture and we the news consumers don't have enough time to read it all if it were fully presented. We, the news consumers, each have limited energies and we each have bias.